[sword-devel] Sword front-ends, the clipboard and social media

David Haslam dfhdfh at protonmail.com
Sun May 5 11:08:51 MST 2019

FYI. Here's the clipboard copy of my TextPipe filter:

The PCRE replace list filter that does the digits character conversion uses UTF-8 byte codes in the replace column.
TextPipe Single User Edition 10.7

Purchased by: David Haslam, David Haslam

Filter Title: T:\Convert\Convert numerals to Unicode superscripts.fll

Filter List

-----------

Filter options

|  [X] Log to file

|  [ ] Append to logfile

|  Log filename: .\textpipe.log

|  Threshold 500

|  [X] Log comment filters

|--Input from file(s)

|     [ ] Confirm before processing each file

|     [ ] Confirm before processing read/only files

|     [ ] Delete input files after processing

|     [ ] Process inside compressed files

|     Process binary files

|--Comment...

|  |  Convert numerals to Unicode superscripts

|  |

|  |  Function:

|  |   - Input  = Bible passage copied from SWORD front-end app

|  |   - Output = Bible passage with superscripted verse tags

|  |

|  |  Purpose:

|  |   - For sharing copied Bible passage to social media, etc.

|  |

|  |  Assumes:

|  |   - Verse text contains no numerals (cf. some translations do)

|  |   - Headings (if included) contain no numerals

|  |

|  +--Perl pattern [\d+$] and Send non-matching to subfilter

|     |  [X] Match case

|     |  [ ] Whole words only

|     |  [ ] Case sensitive replace

|     |  [ ] Prompt on replace

|     |  [ ] Skip prompt if identical

|     |  [ ] First only

|     |  [ ] Extract matches

|     |      Maximum text buffer size 4096

|     |  [X] Maximum match (greedy)

|     |  [ ] Allow comments

|     |  [ ] '.' matches newline

|     |  [X] UTF-8 Support

|     |

|     +--Perl pattern [[0-9]+] and Send to subfilter

|        |  [X] Match case

|        |  [ ] Whole words only

|        |  [ ] Case sensitive replace

|        |  [ ] Prompt on replace

|        |  [ ] Skip prompt if identical

|        |  [ ] First only

|        |  [ ] Extract matches

|        |      Maximum text buffer size 4096

|        |  [X] Maximum match (greedy)

|        |  [ ] Allow comments

|        |  [ ] '.' matches newline

|        |  [X] UTF-8 Support

|        |

|        +--Perl pattern [0] with [\xE2\x81\xB0]

|              [X] Match case

|              [ ] Whole words only

|              [ ] Case sensitive replace

|              [ ] Prompt on replace

|              [ ] Skip prompt if identical

|              [ ] First only

|              [ ] Extract matches

|                  Maximum text buffer size 4096

|              [ ] Maximum match (greedy)

|              [ ] Allow comments

|              [ ] '.' matches newline

|              [X] UTF-8 Support

|              [ ] Process longest strings first

|              [ ] Simultaneous search

|              [ ] Log summary only

|            Further search/replace list phrases (CSV format):

|            1,\xC2\xB9

|            2,\xC2\xB2

|            3,\xC2\xB3

|            4,\xE2\x81\xB4

|            5,\xE2\x81\xB5

|            6,\xE2\x81\xB6

|            7,\xE2\x81\xB7

|            8,\xE2\x81\xB8

|            9,\xE2\x81\xB9

+--Output to file(s)

      [ ] Only update date on changed files

      [ ] Append mode

      [ ] Change extension to: .txt

      [ ] Open output file

      Only output modified files

      Test mode

      [ ] Remove empty output files

Files List

The only purpose in sharing this is to show how simple such a filter might be.

The real challenge is to adapt each front-end such that this modified copy is one of the share options in the UI.

IMHO, a similar filter could be easily added to our API, and then it's up to each front-end developer to choose whether or not to take advantage of it.

Best regards,

David