[sword-devel] Sword front-ends, the clipboard and social media

David Haslam dfhdfh at protonmail.com
Sun May 5 08:58:48 MST 2019

When pasting a Bible passage from the clipboard to Social media, text styles are usually squished.

This often means that superscripted verse tags just become ordinary numbers.
Some front-ends even leave no space between the verse tag and the start of verse text.
The result in social media is a tad ugly.

Surely we could do better?

One bright idea implemented externally by one of our members is simple enough for us to consider adding as a new filter in the SWORD API.

Convert verse number digits to Unicode superscript digits, ⁰¹²³⁴⁵⁶⁷⁸⁹

NB. These special 10 characters are not in a continuous block.

How front-ends might include the filter such that copying a passage to the clipboard would automatically make use of these special characters is yet to be determined, but if the idea is not yet discussed, we’ll not make any progress.

Aside: I made my own TextPipe filter to convert digits to these special characters.
I included a restriction to avoid converting chapter numbers.
I did not yet consider what to do about digits that are part of verse text (such as 144,000).

Even so, how do software developers feel about the concept ?

Best regards,

David

Sent from ProtonMail Mobile