[sword-devel] New/modern (copyrighted) bible translations

Michael Johnson Michael at eBible.org
Wed Mar 13 13:07:02 MST 2019

On 3/12/19 8:58 PM, Tobias Klein wrote:
> Regarding the "repeatable conversion process". I think a key is that this conversion process does not have to be re-invented for each and every single copyright holder.
> If I understood the "Digital Bible Library" correctly, they do have the data of all the major copyright holders in their database and they do offer a technical interface (REST API) to access that data in a standard way. So, once the negotiations are there, the same "conversion script" could be used for any of the copyright holders (in theory at least). And that could dramatically reduce the technical work necessary to work with multiple copyright holders.

Yes, indeed! All of the DBL texts are in .zip files with USX files in bundles. Start with making sure you can process the bundles with open access licenses, since you can access those, now. I do that with Haiola (https://Haiola.org), which is free and open source, but not the most user friendly software available.

> Thanks for encouraging me to start with one specific copyright holder, that's what I was thinking. I may start with the German Bible Society then.
Sounds good. I would encourage you to make sure your technical processes are in place before starting, though, so that you can act quickly when you get permission.

And, if you get rejected, don't give up too easily, but try to learn and move on...

--
signature

Aloha,
*/Michael Johnson/**
PO BOX 881143 • PUKALANI HI 96788-1143*• USA
mljohnson.org <http://mljohnson.org> • Phone: +1 808-333-6921 • Skype: kahunapule