[sword-devel] New/modern (copyrighted) bible translations

Tobias Klein contact at tklein.info
Sun Mar 10 22:56:11 MST 2019

On 10.03.19 21:50, Michael Johnson wrote:
> I am well aware that this does not address the preference majority language speakers may have for certain modern copyrighted proprietary Bible translations. The best solution for access to those is to figure out a way to pay for those. This is not unreasonable. One of my few contributions to the Sword Project code was the encryption code used for locked modules for sale. However, the current model for selling modules excludes the Crosswire Bible Society, which actually doesn't handle money. I could through
> eBible.org, but I would need help with that.

Thanks for the clarification regarding DBL, Michael - that is very
helpful! Do you know of any projects that sell non-free translations for
the purpose of using them in an open source product?
I have only seen non-free translations in commercial bible software so far.

So, if I understood you correctly, the availability of specific non-free
bible translations for use in an open source product would still depend
on individual negotiation efforts with the respective bible societies?

If I and/or others would want to pursue that route - do you have any
other recommendations, specifically regarding the negotiation process?

Best regards,
Tobias