[sword-devel] Eclectic Questions re: CLI, OSIS markup of Trinitarian referents, and the 1662 BCP as a module

David Haslam dfhdfh at protonmail.com
Fri Jun 28 12:16:38 EDT 2019

The 1662 BCP is indeed copyright under Royal Letters Patent in the same way as the KJV.

The main concern of the UK publishers that have a Royal warrant to distribute the KJV is to ensure that it is faithfully reproduced and that copyright is duly acknowledged.

The KJV is not Public Domain everywhere outside the UK either. In the USA (eg) it’s copyright because of treaty obligations within the terms of the Berne Convention and the DMCA. In theory, copyright responsibity in the USA still belongs to the American Bible Society.

It’s a tricky topic, but not one we could possibly manage by restricting downloads to outside the UK, given the fact that user location can be anonymised by using a VPN service.

If we were to create a module for the 1662 BCP, we’d probably need to clear it with at least one of the Royal printers such as CUP or OUP.

NB. This is not legal advice.
I am not a copyright lawyer.

Best regards,

David