[sword-devel] Chinese locale. Protestant vs. Catholic

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Wed Jun 19 15:16:50 EDT 2019

Peter,

At first thought, I agree with you. We could certainly have maybe a dash delimited variety of categories for each locale-- whatever someone might want. We kindof do this already with the numerous _abbrev.conf file. These generally are for people and purposes which want shorter Bible book names than our standard locale for that language. And although we've extended our locale structure to support this specific use case (preferred abbeviations), there are any number of use cases we haven't thought about, so allowing a -variant suffix would allow anyone to use it for whatever they see fit. This basically requires no, or very little code at the engine level but might require a little work at the UI level to present to optional variants of a locale when a uses chooses their language. Generally I like the idea.

What are any advantages of doing things differently? Some thoughts... Generally, I would think that all locale variants would share a merged [Book Abbrevs] section. This is different from the new [Pref Abbrevs] section. The former lists all possible abbreviations which might refer to a Bible book to help our parser figure out what the user might be typing. So, repeating this merged and shared section might be a maintenance headache. Really only the primary book names and preferred book abbreviations are variant. I guess an alternative option requiring a bit more work would be to extend our locale structure a bit more and have a [Variants] section with something like:
rc=Roman Catholic

Then where there is a an alternative book name, we could have something like:

Genesis=Genesis
Genesis.rc=1st Book of Moses

This would let us keep a shared [Book Abbrevs] section, and also has the advantage of only requiring entries where there is deviation from the base. Dunno.

Not suggesting we go this route, but just wanted to throw it out there for discussion.

Troy