[sword-devel] Short/Long Bible & Commentary Modules

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Tue Jan 1 11:22:25 MST 2019

I’ve found an oddness in some Bible and commentary modules. (They share the same storage mechanism).

For each module there’s an index file for the OT and for the NT. Even many single testament modules have an index file for the other testament.

The index file has a slot for every verse in the testament. Intros for the Bible, Testaments, books and chapters are treated as verses and have slots in the index.

When the module is created, the indexes are initialized to all zeros, indicating that there is no data. When a verse is written to the module, the verse’s slot in the index is updated to point to the verse.

So for a versification, each index has a fixed size.

For years, I’ve noticed a debug statement from JSword indicating that some indexes have a different size than expected.

So for the last couple of days, I’ve been debugging the problem. Quite a few OT are a verse short. For the most part these modules are NT only, but a few are missing Malachi 4:6. Some NT have two more slots in the index.

The Bible modules that have a visible OT problem, not having the last verse of the OT:
DanDetteBiblen (Xiphos)
FarFLB (Xiphos)
JapMeiji (CrossWire)
Mg1865 (CrossWire) Looks like all of Malachi 4 is appended to 3:18
PolBibTysia (Xiphos)

The CrossWire Bible modules that have a visible NT problem having 2 extra verses: (All are KJV, but maybe should be NRSV av11n)
HebDelitzsch
PorAlmeida1911
PolUGdanska
Shona
TurHADI

The CrossWire commentary module DTN seems to be really bad. The NT index file is way too long. Looking at the module content,  I find lots of verses that are present but w empty content. I find verse 0 for many chapters is filled with wrong content.

The CrossWire Bibles that have the short OT index, but it isn’t really a problem because the module doesn’t have the OT or only has part of the OT:
ArmEastern
Chamorro
Cro
CzeB21
Est
GerAlbrecht
GerGruenewald
GerTafel
GerTextbibel
Leeser
ManxGaelic
SweKarlXII
Tyndale
VietLCCMN
Vulgate_HebPs
Wulfila
Wycliffe

The following CrossWire commentaries also have a non-problematic short OT index:
MAK
Spurious
VietLCCMNCT

In Him,