[sword-devel] OSIS files with Tables and Nesting warnings from osis2mod

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Mon Feb 18 15:52:57 MST 2019

When ever a non-milestonable construct is not wholly contained in a verse, it will not work as a SWORD module in all contexts.

From a module perspective, a verse is what is stored as a verse. It includes all the content between what we know as verses, such as titles, sections, paragraphs.

Basic reason is that modules are verse oriented. Each verse has to be able to display in isolation. When a verse is not well formed XML, then it cannot.

We recommend that authors of OSIS see the major constructs of a module to be Books, Chapters, Sections and Paragraphs, expressed as containers. And that verses are milestoned.

osis2mod will reverse this and complain where it cannot.

Anything that converts a different format to OSIS has to work around this limitation. osis2mod will tell when it is not so.

One way around this is to have the osisID be for multiple verses and that contain the construct.

Another way is for the converter to throw away the “offending” construct and just keep the content. That’s what JSword does on a verse by verse basis.

In Him,
	DM