[sword-devel] Module identifier, module name, presentation

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Mon Nov 19 09:31:25 MST 2018

On 11/16/18 7:46 AM, Peter Von Kaehne wrote:
> I think a variety of frontends still use the module identifier - and of course CrossWire's website's download page does so too. I will attend to the last one as soon as I can. But can I ask all those who develop frontends to consider how to make this nicer?
Xiphos has had support for the Abbreviation configuration directive for
a few years, however the semantics behind it are incomplete and I'm not
aware that any other frontend handles them correctly, either. I've been
intending to write some text about this problem but frankly I've been
long delayed on getting to several things that would have led to a 4.1.1
release. I expect to find time again after 2019 starts.

As matters stand, there is both the config file support to consider, for
automatic abbrev choices, but more generally there is a need for
user-defined abbrev choices to supersede both the formal name as well as
any possible Abbreviation suggested; and there are several semantic
problems behind where abbrevs are used, and how they manifest themselves
implicitly. Xiphos' abbrev support is one of several things due for an
overhaul in order to give better, proper, semantically consistent
support. Again, I'll try to bring something to the table about this
soon, as I think Xiphos already had the best beginning, but none of the
frontends yet has a good ending for abbrev support.