[sword-devel] CCEL, ThML - volunteers?

Dudeck, John John.Dudeck at sim.org
Thu Nov 15 09:33:23 MST 2018

I am developing a set of Perl scripts that convert Logos XML to OSIS for commentaries. It has proven to be a non-trivial exercise.

I don't know whether I would have time in the future to get involved with this CCEL project, but it interests me.

John

> Dear all,
>
> This is a call for volunteers interested in (mostly) English language
> commentaries and general spiritual books.
>
> After a long hiatus of non-communication with CCEL I have been given
> permission to use their ThML files to upload to CrossWire. This is a
> brilliant thing.
>
> Trouble is when I looked at it closer I realised we actually do not
> have any thml2vs like import utility. We do have a utility for general
> books, but not for commentaries. I do see that we have some work on
> scripts for the Calvin commentaries which are CCEL derived, but I had
> not had a deeper look inside that yet.
>
> So, in short - if someone feels willing and called to tackle this
>
> 1) a well described and fully automatised process to create a
> commentary module from ThML source, including XML validation
>
> 2) a well described and preferably fully automatised process to pre-
> process CCEL source to make it clean for further import.
>
> any language, as long as it runs on Linux. C, C++, Perl or Python
> preferred though.
>
> Then, if someone wants to take on a guardian and shepherding role to
> deal with what is on offer and produce quality modules from it, with
> conf files etc etc, this would be hugely appreciated. I will continue
> to deal with the upload.
>
> This is probably a huge opportunity to help us get a large number of
> quality texts from a well reputed source, so it would be wonderful if
> someone or some who are previously maybe not so deeply involved want to
> tackle this.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Peter

John Dudeck
Programmer at Editions Cle                             Lyon, France
john.dudeck at sim.org                            john at editionscle.com
--
"Hmm, doubtful. The source code generally wasn't there when I needed it."
 -- Larry Wall when asked if he learned Perl from the perl source