[sword-devel] CCEL, ThML - volunteers?

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Thu Nov 15 02:16:59 MST 2018

Dear all,

This is a call for volunteers interested in (mostly) English language
commentaries and general spiritual books.

After a long hiatus of non-communication with CCEL I have been given
permission to use their ThML files to upload to CrossWire. This is a
brilliant thing.

Trouble is when I looked at it closer I realised we actually do not
have any thml2vs like import utility. We do have a utility for general
books, but not for commentaries. I do see that we have some work on
scripts for the Calvin commentaries which are CCEL derived, but I had
not had a deeper look inside that yet.

So, in short - if someone feels willing and called to tackle this

1) a well described and fully automatised process to create a
commentary module from ThML source, including XML validation

2) a well described and preferably fully automatised process to pre-
process CCEL source to make it clean for further import.

any language, as long as it runs on Linux. C, C++, Perl or Python
preferred though.

Then, if someone wants to take on a guardian and shepherding role to
deal with what is on offer and produce quality modules from it, with
conf files etc etc, this would be hugely appreciated. I will continue
to deal with the upload.

This is probably a huge opportunity to help us get a large number of
quality texts from a well reputed source, so it would be wonderful if
someone or some who are previously maybe not so deeply involved want to
tackle this.

Thanks!

Peter