[sword-devel] Bishop for Android 1.0.6

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Sun Mar 25 17:59:18 MST 2018

On 03/25/2018 09:26 AM, Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
> Better BibleSync support
Because BibleSync is a personal project of mine, I've taken particular
interest in it for Bishop, because it's the 2nd program to provide it
after Xiphos. Troy has already worked out a bunch of kinks I mentioned
in the last couple days and it's much better than the previous release.
It has a couple warts yet, mostly due to needing to work out how to run
a UI that allows the user to pick the speakers to whom Bishop should
listen. It's not a trivial problem, for several reasons.

I mentioned to Troy that I consider Bishop's BibleSync interface to be
an interesting instance of differing UI perspectives:
- Xiphos speaks every time the user navigates somewhere new; Bishop
speaks only when the user specifically asks, from the sidebar.
(Of course, Xiphos doesn't nav at all until an explicit choice is made;
Bishop sort of continuously navs just by scrolling the pane.)
- Xiphos auto-navs on receipt by default, with an option to use the
verse list as indirect nav; Bishop always uses the verse list.
- Xiphos uses the logged-in name to identify the user; Bishop has no
inherent sense of the user's name (unless dealing with a permissions
issue to retrieve that info from Android), so it has a settings twiddle
for setting a friendly name.

Both methodologies are perfectly fine and acceptable ways of dealing
with putting capability in the user's hands, but they are very different
in how that capability is seen. I would be interested in others'
opinions, now that there's more than one app that speaks BibleSync.

This has also induced me to make a couple small fixes in Xiphos. I think
I may finally have the motivation to finish kicking out Xiphos 4.0.8
soon. Sorry for the delay; life has not been fun around my house lately.

I was going to say that Troy needs to update the Choosing a Sword App
wiki page, to add a new column for Bishop, but I can't find the wiki at
all, it's all 404. What's up?