[sword-devel] Wiki writers - attention

Peter Von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Mon Jan 8 07:11:25 MST 2018

Dear all,

I am not acting in anger, and i am sorry if my language ("Shooting on sight") seemed to imply so.

Nevertheless I am acting fairly ruthlessly as the duplication and  the amount of outdated info has grown to simply unacceptable levels. I have for a long time avoided looking into some areas and have grown accustomed to the overgrowth in others. Looking at it with a fresh eye is a but startling.

I think a fundamental problem is a misunderstanding of the wiki as a form of encyclopedia. It is not. It is a developer's handbook - for all the three groups Tom lists - sword developers, frontend developers and module makers. Latter are clearly often the least technical and need most hand holding. No discussion needed. I am mostly one of this last group - non-technical module writers, despite having moved into other areas too.I am well aware of the fear and sense of being overwhelmed induced by the suggestion "Just write a perl script" uttered on the mailing list by someone, just when I started out in 2004. So, I do bear this in mind.

But simplicity and currentness are our aims, not historical completeness or preservation of all content. Wikis allow and make it easy to add delete and change stuff, including major reverts etc. The complete preservation of history makes all this easy. But preservation and endless ability to expand should not become a millstone around our necks.

We need a neat and straightforward handbook which takes the inexperienced user by the hand but does not appall the highly technical developer who simply needs to find something for reference. Neither side has a ownership claim. All need to be happy. I think this is possible, but it requires constant attention - and deletion of outdated or extraneous material.

Peter