[sword-devel] Personal Sword Projects

Tim Hawes tim at selfdidactic.com
Mon Jan 1 09:31:00 MST 2018

Greetings,

I thought I'd drop a quick line, informing the list of my current projects using Crosswire Sword (and JSword).

A couple years ago, I decided I wanted a new command line tool for looking up Scripture references that I could easily use in Emacs. I was dissatisfied with diatheke, mainly because I could not shorten or remove the scripture references in the output. Editing the output becomes tedious in inserting a large reference range in a document. Also, diatheke lacked the ability to create notes in the Personal commentary.

My solution pales in comparison to diatheke. It still lacks a search function, and only outputs plain text. But everything else I needed works well enough. You can find it at GitHub https://github.com/timotheosh/cbible

I announced my initial work on this project a couple years ago, and have improved and updated it since (I've removed deprecated Sword API's and dependencies on libboost).

The project also helps sharpen my limited C/C++ knowledge.

I like playing with Lisp languages, and will eventually convert some of my Sword code into an FFI library to be consumed by Racket (formerly known as PLT Scheme) and (maybe) Common Lisp (if I ever return to it).

Based on my curiosity and love of Lisp languages, I have started writing a Clojure wrapper for JSword. This has helped my expand my knowledge with Clojure/Java interop (there are still a few knowledge holes in me), and also to get a bit more familiar with JSword. I have nothing more than just a working "proof of concept" that wraps most of the examples in JSword's APIExamples.java and will also find and write to the Personal commentary. This is also all found on GitHub https://github.com/timotheosh/cljsword

God bless you all!

Yours in Christ,

Tim Hawes