[sword-devel] canon.bible.xml and alternate versification questions

David Haslam dfhdfh at protonmail.com
Mon Feb 19 07:47:25 MST 2018

Responding to Vince about alternate versification (av11n).

Before we'd contemplate creating a new av11n for a Spanish Bible, a lot of detailed research would be required to show how and why this might be required.
It's the kind of work that Dominique did for (Protestant) French Bibles, as tabled in this wiki page:
https://wiki.crosswire.org/Survey_of_versification_schemes_in_French_Bibles
NB. Such a survey must always be based on printed Bibles or facsimile copies, rather than on any available digital editions.

For version 1.0 of a module to be called SpaRV1865, I'd recommend that we should simply accept the default v11n of the KJV.

If a survey outcome does demonstrate a genuine requirement for a new av11n, then that could be implemented later for an updated module.
A new av11n implicitly requires a new SWORD release, and then for all front-end apps to be updated accordingly, so it's not a simple task.
Given that some app developers have less time than they used to for program development, it's never going to be a speedy result.
cf. The recent release of SWORD 1.8.0 (with the 3 new French av11n) has not yet been rolled out to all front-ends.
e.g. Has Eloquent (the app that Vince mostly uses) been updated?

Aside: I've not seen any messages as to whether JSword has been updated to support these new av11n.

Best regards,

David

PS. I've already made good progress converting Vince's RV1865 files to USFM and am communicating the details privately.