[sword-devel] Issue in AraNav (New arabic version)

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Sat Dec 1 08:46:28 MST 2018

Probably a more complete answer than most want.

The url bugs.crosswire.org <http://bugs.crosswire.org/> is absolutely wrong. It should yield a 404 NOT FOUND.

Way back when we had crosswire.org/bugs <http://crosswire.org/bugs>. We use Jira for more than just bugs but also feature requests and project planning. So some years ago, I renamed it to crosswire.org/tracker <http://crosswire.org/tracker> and redirected bugs to tracker. I think that the old url no longer redirects.

We are slowly upgrading CrossWire’s server’s OS, running both the old and new in parallel. To migrate web content, we’ve resorted to sub-domain type URLs. So crosswire.org/tracker <http://crosswire.org/tracker> becomes tracker.crosswire.org <http://tracker.crosswire.org/> and the former redirects to the latter.

crosswire.org/ <http://crosswire.org/>… and www.crosswire.org/ <http://www.crosswire.org/>… will go to the old OS webserver. All other sub-domains will go to the new OS webserver. (If you ping the URLs you’ll note different IP addresses)

As to VMR CRE coming up, it is the default website on the new OS. It was migrated first. Once everything is migrated www.crosswire.org <http://www.crosswire.org/> will become the default.

We’ve got www2 as a temporary sub-domain to help with the migration.

Complicating the finishing of the migration:
Replacing old hardware.
Moving mailing lists (which have a web interface). Mailman 3.0 is available, but last time I checked there’s no migration path from 2.0 to 3.0.
Troy and I are doing the work. Greg has volunteered to help.

In His Service,
	DM