[sword-devel] Android common module storage location

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Mon Apr 23 09:08:12 MST 2018

On 04/23/2018 09:45 AM, Martin Denham wrote:
> You could try putting the modules in the jsword folder as described
> here
> <https://github.com/mjdenham/and-bible/wiki/FAQ#can-i-manually-add-modulesdocuments-to-and-bible>.

That begs several questions.

1. Even if doing so was appropriate -- it's not, see end -- I still need
to know why just "sword" doesn't work, since the bindings code
(bindings/java-jni/jni/swordstub.cpp) suggests it should.
2. As a practical matter, when I rename sword to jsword, Bishop stops
being able to find modules (it's not JSword-driven), and AB reproducibly
chokes: "Unfortunately, And Bible has stopped.  OK/REPORT"  I brought in
my entire module set, ~800 -- is AB's failure a capacity problem, being
unprepared for a big set?
3. Android is a platform that has been alive less than half the time of
Crosswire itself, yet we have 3, competing, apparently conflicting
places in the filesystem in which to put modules. Could we prettyplease
/immediately/ standardize on exactly /one/ place, and have all Android
apps move to that ASAP? There's only maybe 3, right? Bishop, AB, and
BibleTime Mobile?

O frabjious joy. BTM also doesn't find modules in sword.

If /sdcard/sword isn't going to work right now, where does one put
modules, so that they are findable by all of Bishop, AB, and BTM? Does
one such place exist? I won't duplicate my module set per-app, it's
5.3G. I can afford that space on this device once, but I won't spend it
twice.

The use of the "jsword" name is wrong as a matter of software
engineering principle, from the standpoint that it references
exclusively a particular engine, and not "a cache of modules to be
handled by any Crosswire app, i.e. Sword as a whole" when more than 1
such app can be installed, all of which need to share them, regardless
of engine. There is nothing JSword-specific about module content.