[sword-devel] FYI geo IP lookups of repo access

Kahunapule Michael Johnson Kahunapule at eBible.org
Tue Sep 12 20:58:28 MST 2017

I do a similar sort of processing of logs to create the metrics at http://ebible.org/metrics/. I use a custom Free Pascal program that is probably not useful to anyone else without modification, but let me know if you want to see it. The Sword module count is based on actual modules, not the individual parts. For privacy reasons, I don't keep the actual IP address after geolocation lookup, nor do I keep the exact latitude and longitude. I store an anonymous user ID based on a one-way cryptographic hash of
IP address and browser identity, plus the country and point that is intentionally limited in resolution (even more than the free lite.ip2location.com data is already limited to). I delete the original logs, then run some queries on the database to get the metrics. Bots are excluded both on the basis of well-known agent identifiers and by activity (i.e. massive numbers of downloads and page views by the same IP+agent combination makes it look more like a web spider than a human). The result is arguably
devoid of any useful personally identifying information, especially anything that could endanger anyone in a creative access country. It probably doesn't answer all of the questions you might have, but it does give something of an idea of where digital Bibles are going, and it what formats. It also shows which translations are being downloaded and/or viewed online. However, if you just want to look at the map on that page and feel good about how far and wide the Bibles are going, you can do that. Then pat
yourself on the back, praise God for letting us do something useful for His Kingdom, then get back to work. ;-)