[sword-devel] FYI geo IP lookups of repo access

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Sun Sep 10 16:39:52 MST 2017

On 09/10/2017 06:32 PM, refdoc at gmx.net wrote:
> Can you not count for individual Ip addresses per country?
Of course I can. I can count, sort, and summarize anything in the data
that you like.
It's entirely a matter of the complexity of the pipeline.
http://karl.kleinpaste.org/.../ftp-xiphos-org.ip-data.text (50+ Kbytes)
Save that and handle it yet further, for whatever other interesting
details you wish:

cut -f2 ftp-xiphos-org.ip-data.text | sort | uniq -c | sort -nr
    654 US, United States
     82 PH, Philippines
     79 BR, Brazil
     69 DE, Germany
     58 KR, Korea, Republic of
     57 GB, United Kingdom
     50 AU, Australia
     49 ZA, South Africa
     41 CA, Canada
     39 RU, Russian Federation
     28 MX, Mexico
     27 SG, Singapore
     22 ID, Indonesia
     20 UA, Ukraine
     19 CZ, Czech Republic
     18 PL, Poland
     18 NL, Netherlands
     18 FI, Finland
     15 NG, Nigeria
     14 IN, India
     13 GH, Ghana
     13 ES, Spain
     12 RO, Romania
     12 AR, Argentina
     11 JP, Japan
     11 GT, Guatemala
     11 FR, France
     10 HK, Hong Kong
     10 GR, Greece
      9 IT, Italy
      9 HU, Hungary
      9 CO, Colombia
      8 VN, Vietnam
      8 MY, Malaysia
      7 TW, Taiwan
      7 SE, Sweden
      7 PT, Portugal
      7 NZ, New Zealand
      7 IL, Israel
      7 CL, Chile
      6 TH, Thailand
      6 CM, Cameroon
      6 BY, Belarus
      5 ZW, Zimbabwe
      5 VE, Venezuela
      5 KZ, Kazakhstan
      5 CN, China
      5 AT, Austria
      5 AE, United Arab Emirates
      4 UZ, Uzbekistan
      4 SA, Saudi Arabia
      4 NP, Nepal
      4 NI, Nicaragua
      4 NA, Namibia
      4 KE, Kenya
      4 HR, Croatia
      4 EG, Egypt
      4 BG, Bulgaria
      3 TR, Turkey
      3 CR, Costa Rica
      3 CH, Switzerland
      3 BO, Bolivia
      3 BE, Belgium
      3 AZ, Azerbaijan
      2 ZM, Zambia
      2 UY, Uruguay
      2 UG, Uganda
      2 SK, Slovakia
      2 PR, Puerto Rico
      2 PG, Papua New Guinea
      2 LT, Lithuania
      2 KG, Kyrgyzstan
      2 IE, Ireland
      2 HN, Honduras
      2 GU, Guam
      2 FM, Micronesia, Federated States of
      2 ET, Ethiopia
      2 EE, Estonia
      2 DO, Dominican Republic
      2 DK, Denmark
      2 AO, Angola
      1 TZ, Tanzania, United Republic of
      1 TM, Turkmenistan
      1 SX, Sint Maarten (Dutch part)
      1 SS, South Sudan
      1 RE, Reunion
      1 PE, Peru
      1 NO, Norway
      1 MZ, Mozambique
      1 MW, Malawi
      1 MM, Myanmar
      1 MD, Moldova, Republic of
      1 KI, Kiribati
      1 JO, Jordan
      1 IR, Iran, Islamic Republic of
      1 EU, Europe
      1 EC, Ecuador
      1 CI, Cote D'Ivoire
      1 CD, Congo, The Democratic Republic of the
      1 BJ, Benin
      1 AW, Aruba
      1 AM, Armenia

I had no ideauntil today that Filipinos and Koreans were heavy users
(#2, #5).

If wanted, I can distinguish accessors as Xiphos vs. PocketSword vs.
everything else because Xiphos and PocketSword provide a valuable
InstallMgr ctor password string that appears in the log for anon
requests. (No other apps do this favor, though I suggested it here years
ago.)  I can distinguish Filipino Xiphos users from German PocketSword
users. Frankly, a great deal can be learned, to the point of becoming
inappropriately revealing.