[sword-devel] Soft hyphens

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Thu Nov 2 14:09:59 MST 2017

I see your point. For them to be useful, every word should have a soft hyphens between syllables (or intra-word semantic breaks). Not just some. It is just as likely in a dynamic word wrap of a browser (or other etext viewer) whose width can change that any word but the first few on a line will be at the end of a line in some width/font-size combination. Having some words and not others gives a surprising hyphenated text. Removing soft hyphens to solve a presentation issue is appropriate.

Recently, I saw a web page that split and hyphenated words dynamically and I’m pretty sure that the words didn’t have soft hyphens.

Still, it is the responsibility of the engine to ensure that search works properly. As you’ll probably note, the zero width non joiner is better than a soft hyphen in preventing ligatures. One is semantically correct. The other gives an appropriate visual representation. We need to use the right tools for each job. Removing soft hyphens to improve search is at best a stop gap measure.

In Him,
	DM