[sword-devel] Soft hyphens

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Thu Nov 2 07:28:08 MST 2017

I don’t think they should be removed upstream except to fix errors. David classified these as multiple and useless. Regarding useless, I’m not sure that “punctuation” is such a universal language construct that it can be included in such a determination. E.g. An apostrophe is often used as a glottal stop.

I don’t think they should be removed from the OSIS file. I won’t change osis2mod to do that. The proper place to handle search problems is in the SWORD and JSword engine. Basically when an index is created the text has to be normalized for searching. When providing a search request, likewise it has to be normalized the same way. Troy has checked in a change to do that. He has also identified the need to have plain text filter be separate from a search normalizing filter.

In addition to Michael’s caution, having soft hyphens is useful to improving readability on small devices such as a phone or tablet.

DM