[sword-devel] Verse ranges...

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Thu May 18 08:15:48 MST 2017

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 9:42 AM, David Haslam <dfhmch at googlemail.com> wrote:

> A further related problem is what to do when a translator provides both the
> shorter ending (found in critical texts) and the longer ending of Mark 16
> (found in the TR).
>
> A printed book can have two different verse 8, but a electronic Bible has
> certain difficulties with this notion, not one supported adequately by OSIS
> variants.

This is a completely separate technical problem with no easy solution yet
proposed. And it affects far more than just the ending of Mark, as some
translations will do this throughout the Old Testament books of Daniel and
Esther as well (notably the print version of the Jerusalem Bible I have,
which numbers both the Protestant and Catholic verse numbers throughout the
differing portions of the text. The Jerusalem Bible is under copyright, but
I would be surprised if it did not, in some way, show up in other
specialized types of translations).

--Greg