[sword-devel] Versification for the Complete Wycliffe Bible ?

David Haslam dfhmch at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 24 14:37:41 MST 2017

The complete 76 book text for the *Wycliffe Bible* is available on Wikisource
at https:\\en.wikisource.org\wiki\Bible_(Wycliffe)

I have already converted the text to USFM and thence to OSIS XML.

The text had not been altered since I previously captured the text in
January 2014.
Back then I merely stopped at USFM and never proceeded to the next stages.

I'm using a modified copy of *wycliffe.py* that Chris created.
My copy uses the file numbers from the *Identification* page in the *USFM
User Reference*.

We may have got a couple of book names wrong, but before I change anything
at this stage, I am wondering how on earth we can make a module if we don't
have a proper *versification* scheme for this work?

Although Wycliffe's Bible was largely a translation from the Vulgate, using
*Vulg* as the v11n with osis2mod gives far too many errors.

It doesn't recognise these 3 books as valid osisIDs:
* *EsthGr* (16 chapters)
* *EpJer*  (1 chapter)
* *DanGr* (14 chapters)

On top of that, there are 147 Appending entries in the log file.

*EpJer* could be reversified as *Baruch 6*, but that still leaves the other
two unrecognised books.

Do we require a completely new *versification* and therefore must await a
future SWORD release to proceed any further?

If anyone would like to collaborate with me on this, you know how to contact
me.

If we could make a success of this together, it would supersede these two
modules:

* *Wycliffe* in CrossWire Main repo
* *Wycliffe* in eBible.org repo (engWycliffe1395eb)

Both of these have only the Pentateuch and Gospels.

Best regards,

David