[sword-devel] ERV issues in And Bible

Kahunapule Michael Johnson Kahunapule at eBible.org
Wed Mar 8 15:43:19 MST 2017

You can see the source OSIS XML file at https://ebible.org/Scriptures/engerv_osis.zip if you like. All of the OSIS source files for Sword modules in the eBible.org repository are in that directory.

I'm referring this one to whoever the current pumpkin holder for osis2mod is for comment and/or further action, and waiting for a response before doing anything else. In the mean time, I just rebuilt engerv2006eb using osis2mod Rev 3401 just to make sure we aren't dealing with an older and possibly already corrected problem. If I need to rebuild the eBible.org repository with a corrected version of osis2mod, please let me know.

On 03/08/2017 12:13 PM, David Haslam wrote:
> [...]
>
> I don't have access to your OSIS XML file, or if I do, I've not yet gone
> looking for it.
> I was merely going by what I saw in the output from *mod2imp*, which
> includes numerous OSIS snippets.
>
> I've never before come across duplication of internal items when a module
> content is exported using this Sword utility. It's supposed to be lossless
> (unlike what's on record for *mod2osis*).
>
> In theory, a round trip module rebuild ought to be feasible:
>
> module => *mod2imp* => IMP file => *imp2vs* => module
>
> I rather suspect therefore that the problem may be caused by *osis2mod* when
> you built the module.
>
> It being documented in the wiki, we know that *osis2mod* performs a
> transformation of its input.
> See https://crosswire.org/wiki/Osis2mod#Transformations
>
> That's where the milestone div elements are made, if they don't already
> exist.
> I was unaware that osis2mod inserts *type="x-milestone"* as well.
> That's not mentioned in the wiki page.
>
> *osis2mod* expects an input file that meets OSIS 2.1.1 or possibly the
> latest CrossWire updated schema.
>
> Neither of these schema allow for the milestone form of the *div* element.
>
> I've therefore started a discussion about this in the talk page:
>
> https://crosswire.org/wiki/Talk:OSIS_211_CR#A_milestone_form_of_the_div_element_.3F
>
> As far as I know, there's been next to no discussion of this before between
> the API developers.
> We do use the milestone form internally, but don't expect it as part of the
> XML input.
>
> With *And Bible* being a *JSword* app., one needs to understand that JSword
> does an XSLT on the internal OSIS XML of a module. What this might do if it
> encounters an orphaned/duplicated milestone *div* element is anyone's guess.
>
> Does any other module show signs of duplicated div elements when analysed
> using *mod2imp* ?
> I think we ought to have noticed this before, but it does require more
> researching.
>
> I've not yet looked at any other modules from *eBible.org* for this
> phenomenon.
>
> Martin reported that Psalm 2:12 was an example location of the issue, so
> that's the place I examined in detail.
>
> His other example Psalm 3:8 has exactly the same sort of triple occurrence,
> this time for *ID="pv6992"* where the previous letter is either "s" or "e",
> there being 2 of the former and 1 of the latter.
>
> Martin added that there are many more, and I counted a total of 503
> instances.
>
> It should be feasible to systematically remove one of the duplicates from
> every such location and rebuild the module using *imp2vs* to see whether
> this gives one that no longer crashes *And Bible* or other JSword apps.
>
> Once we learn which of the pair of sID elements is the delinquent one, we
> might then try and find out where these are coming from, and whether your

signature

Aloha,
*/Michael Johnson/**
PO BOX 881143 • PUKALANI HI 96788-1143*• USA
mljohnson.org <http://mljohnson.org> • Phone: +1 808-333-6921 • Skype: kahunapule