[sword-devel] diatheke search type regex and the dot ?

David Haslam dfhmch at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 4 04:55:30 MST 2017

Thanks Troy,

The precise /flavour/ of *regex* supported by diatheke search really needs
to be properly documented.

Expecting the *dot* to be a byte when we're handling Unicode is just not on
at all.

I'm struggling more because I'm on Windows, where the UTF-16 verse UTF-8
disparity affects everything outside ANSI, but even the friends using
diatheke in Linux are having no success with the dot.

The character class *[.,;:]* treats it as just a full-stop punctuation mark.
cf.  I'm so used to having to escape the full-stop in most other contexts.
(e.g. Notepad++ search, TextPipe replace filters, etc).

If *regex* is to be of any real use, we shouldn't leave users to resort to
trial and error to see what works.

David