[sword-devel] SWORD 1.8.0RC3

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Sun Jun 25 18:49:11 MST 2017

On Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 8:10 PM, Greg Hellings <greg.hellings at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Jaak,
>
> Can you provide a version of that patch for 1.7 (and 1.8, if there is a
> difference)? Or point me to where it lives? I will definitely wrap that
> into the packaging for Fedora and SuSE as it is absolutely inappropriate to
> have SSL checking skipped at the library level without it being a very
> explicit step for users.
>
> If Troy won't fix this glaring security hole, it can at least be fixed by
> the packagers. I would encourage any Debian and/or Ubuntu users to file
> bugs against Sword packaging in their environments (if their maintainer
> isn't here) and the same for any other distribution users.

With apologies to Troy, this paragraph carried an implication that I did
not intend. The state of this code in the library is intentionally set.
However, these known and documented security weaknesses are intended to be
closed up by package maintainers of libraries in most distributions (e.g.
SSL/TLS libraries that include weak ciphers that get disabled by package
maintainers, bundlers, etc).  This is one reason that packagers are
encouraged to be and remain close to the development of upstream, as much
as possible, so they can provide reasonably secure defaults in the package
build even if those are not the default setting for upstream for whatever
reason.

I did not mean to impugn Troy or cause him offense.

That said, perhaps a compile-time switch could be added to enable more
security conscious options in the transport code? That way the task of
packagers could be made easier by enabling a more security-conscious option
at build time instead of patching the library.

--Greg