[sword-devel] Adding native support for Unified Scripture XML ?

David Haslam dfhmch at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 2 14:15:50 MST 2017

DM may well be right in the short term, but longer term surely adding a new
input format is more desirable?

Creating an XSLT script to convert USX to OSIS might be easier to maintain
than what we currently do with various Python scripts to convert USFM files
to OSIS.

Has nobody worked on such an XSLT development?

We don't have authorised access to the Digital Bible Library. Translations
usually come to us as a set of USFM files. along with a request from someone
to make a SWORD module.

We could use ParaTExt to convert these to USX in those cases where the USX
file has not been supplied.

We've had a license agreement in place since March 2013 for the ParaTExt 7
software (without access to copyright resources) to be used by anyone with a
publishing role in CrossWire. Troy was involved in making this agreement
with UBS. I even have a copy of the agreement.

To register, see http://paratext.org/user/register
NB. First obtain authorisation from Troy to ensure that he supports your
registration under the terms of this agreement.

What surprises me is that to the best of my knowledge no CrossWire
volunteers have yet taken advantage of this agreement. There may be a few
exceptions, unknown to me, who already work for one of the main Bible
agencies, but who occasionally do some programming or text development for
CrossWire outside their day job.

Once ParaTExt 8 is released, almost anyone would be able to register,
subject to certain conditions.
For ParaTExt 8, see https://pt8.paratext.org/registration/

I myself have no real experience in XSLT, but some of you do.

Best regards,

David