[sword-devel] NASB

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Wed Feb 22 14:50:41 MST 2017

Matt,

A couple things.  I think What Jonathon and others on here are saying
is, that over 30 years doing this stuff, we've learned that the ONLY
source that is reliable to both: obtain the data for a Bible, and to
obtain permission to host a Bible, is the actual owner / copyright holder.

We have run into many issue over the years and been threatened and asked
to remove modules (sometimes by people who were on shaky ground for
claiming a legitimate copyright).  Our policy is from experience and a
desire to be upright regarding both the transmission of a faithful text
and legal distribution of the same.

So, our policy has come to this: We will neither distribute nor be
associated with any repository which distributes modules which do not
follow these two principles: Clear distribution permission obtained
straight from the one who has authority to grant such permission
distribution; and the use of source data for the module obtained from
the same-- from the authorized distribution source, not exported from
another source and reimported into SWORD format (unless that is what the
authorized source has given us, e.g., Paratext).

Thus, you say you have permission to publish a freely redistributable
SWORD module of the NASB.  I'm sure we would welcome that but I think we
are all skeptical that you obtained this permission and the data to use
for conversion from Lockman. Please forgive me for doubting if I am wrong.

Troy