[sword-devel] GlobalOptionFilter=UTF8GreekAccents and non-Greek modules

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Wed Feb 22 01:26:46 MST 2017

Thanks Troy,

On Tue, 2017-02-21 at 16:36 -0700, Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
> The filter is meant to be used on
> UTF-8 Greek text.  I certainly receive the suggestion it might be
> used in another case, as you suggest, and would consider that an
> improvement, if we ever have a solid use case.

The use case is mine - determining whether a module contains Greek with
diacritics and add the filter.

The logic behind that request is that manual choice of module options
and module conf parametres is fraught and full of examples of
misapplied options etc. The more we can determine programmatically
about a new module the better. While it should be possible to do the
determination of presence of Greek accents in other ways, you will not
deny that there is a certain elegance and also future proofness to use
the engine's own filters to test for presence or absence of features.

Further - a mixed text non-English dictionary module is eminently
feasible. A large amount of our work was to enable non-English texts to
display correctly - and the work to do this was wide ranging from
displaying RTL correctly to av11n. This is simply one further, relevant
and necessary step.

Finally, Xiphos et al make application on the display a user choice, so
go already beyond your proposed restriction to search only. I am not
sure why a user would want to switch accents on or off, but as they can
and as they do it will affect modules with e.g. accented Greek in
footnotes.

Peter