[sword-devel] GlobalOptionFilter=UTF8GreekAccents and non-Greek modules

David Haslam dfhmch at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 21 03:03:04 MST 2017

Further proof if this were even needed:

I temporarily added the Greek Accents filter to the conf file for the French
Bible module FreBBB.

Then I ran diatheke on the module.
(i.e. default, without any option "-oa" that would include Greek Accents).

It removed all Latin character diacritics: acute, grave and circonflex
accents, etc.

And the conversion doesn't always look right too. e.g. The word "plaça"
became "plac§a".
So it's not even respecting the UTF-8 encoding character boundaries, is it?
And last time I looked, the Greek script did not use a cedilla!

A similar experiment on our flagship KJV module also found that it removes
the "right single quotation mark" U+2019 used as the typographical
apostrophe for possessives.

In some fonts, that might look similar to U+0343 COMBINING GREEK KORONIS,
but they are not the same codepoint.

So, all in all, unless I've missed a complete howler, it's not looking good
at all.

The filter changes too much!
It's scope needs to be cut right back to deal with Greek diacritics alone.

Best regards,

David