[sword-devel] PocketSword can speak!

TS outofthecube at icloud.com
Fri Feb 10 15:48:05 MST 2017

:)
I'm glad to see that I'm not alone in enjoying this type of feature. I
actually have a story regarding this matter that I hope to write about
later.

     How exactly are you triggering the TTS to work? There's two
different methods that I know of at least. You can have the "Screen"
read or you can select the text (or use the pop up menu to select all of
the text) and then choose from the pop up menu "Speak".

     Strangely enough, even though the same voice is used both ways, the
quality is not the same. The Screen reader version, for example, will
pronounce the "L" in "LORD" as a separate word and then "ORD" as the
following word whereas selecting the words themselves and having them
spoken will not have that problem. The screen reading version also
sounds more stilted.

     As far as I can tell, only one chapter at best will be read either
way. This is, for me, is somewhat limiting as I would want the reading
to continue going chapter after chapter. "And-bible" (the JSword based
front-end which runs on Android) also has text to speech ability and
it's pretty amazing on that app. The ability for the text to be read is
integrated into its User Interface. So, it's very easy to see and use. I
believe that it will also move on to the next chapter and continue
reading out loud instead of stopping at the end of a chapter. It's a
feature that I sorta wish that PocketSword had.

     Also, to emphasize something that you touched on, "English" is not
the only "language" in which the text to speech works with on the
iPhone. For example, if you use a Chinese Bible, it can read it out loud
in Chinese. Or, if you select to use the Hebrew Aleppo Codex (Old
Testament in Hebrew), you can also have it read the text out loud to you
in Hebrew. (There's 3 dialects of Chinese available by default on the
iPhone and one of Hebrew as of iOS 9.3.3.)

     There's a surprising variety of just "English" accent voices as
well. "South Africa", for example, has its own "voice". My current
settings list "Samantha" (enhanced) American accent as what I used last
though it's been a while since I've used it. I think I've probably also
tried out a little the British "Siri" female voice as well.

-TS

On 2/10/2017 3:43 AM, David Haslam wrote:
> After all these years of owning an iPad Mini & iPhone 5, I just found out
> that iOS devices do have TTS capability.
>
> So I just updated this section of our wiki page.
>
> https://crosswire.org/wiki/Choosing_a_SWORD_program#Other
>
> Quite a number of languages are supported when you select Voice.
> I've just installed the English (UK) voice called Daniel (Enhanced) 188 MB,
> but the default voice was quite acceptable.
>
> Of course, being quite general, you can't make it exclude the verse numbers
> in the selected passage.
>
> Best regards,
>
> David
>

> --