[sword-devel] Announcing Sword++

Matěj Cepl mcepl at cepl.eu
Tue Sep 27 03:28:47 MST 2016

On 2016-09-26, 17:14 GMT, Ryan Hiebert wrote:
> It is certainly possible that there is only room for one
> library in the "market". If this is the case, and this fork
> becomes the choice of the market, then it should be apparent
> that the original did not make the choices that the market
> needed. Nobody likes split attention, but if a fork becomes
> used in practice, then it is by definition doing the right
> thing, because it's doing what the users need.

Certainly, but it is hard to imagine how any distribution
replaces functioning library with the one which objectively
regresses in provided functionality (no bindings, for example).
Also, will other programs using currently normal sword (e.g.,
gnomesword/xiphos) work with sword++?

> It really serves no purpose to get upset about someone making,
> and sharing, their own personal fork.

Certainly, and I was among those who supported more “agile” (not
necessarily using the methodology, just less burdensome)
approach to libsword (e.g., everything in git, pull requests,
etc.). We are still not allowing cooperation style normal in the
FLOSS world, we have still some modules (e.g., most Bible
modules) de-facto proprietary (i.e., without sources available),
and I believe all these unresolved issues lead to the silly
forks like this one.

Best,

Matěj

https://matej.ceplovi.cz/blog/, Jabber: mcepl at ceplovi.cz
GPG Finger: 3C76 A027 CA45 AD70 98B5  BC1D 7920 5802 880B C9D8

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by
stupidity.
    -- Napoleon Bonaparte (or many other people to whom this
       quote is ascribed)