[sword-devel] Announcing Sword++

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Mon Sep 26 14:10:46 MST 2016

Jaak,

Many of our copyrighted modules are licensed only to CrossWire for their distribution. This has nothing to do with GPL or other software licenses. When we negotiate for rights we try to be clear that CrossWire's software libraries (SWORD and JSword) are used by many front-ends on many platforms and that they are licensing their modules for all front-ends based upon that software. We’ve tried to maintain the modules' confs to help in distinguishing between these modules and others.

A fork of the CrossWire library (SWORD or JSword) may or may not be seen by the copyright holders to be mechanism of distribution and access that they are willing to license their work. I know of one publisher of a popular module in particular that would not.

Troy is suggesting a cooperative way forward.

In His Service,

DM Smith