[sword-devel] Unicode and the lack of

Manfred Bergmann manfred.bergmann at me.com
Wed Feb 10 10:36:40 MST 2016

> Am 09.02.2016 um 22:52 schrieb David Haslam <dfhmch at googlemail.com>:
>
> Having ICU, but lacking a suitable Unicode font for aspects of a writing
> system is another thing.

AFAIK TrueType fonts are available.

> Having a source text supplied in a non-Unicode font is a challenge.
> Suppose [say] you had to convert Times Roman Armenian to Unicode?
> Reverse engineering the character mapping table, and scripting the
> conversion, yes, it’s feasible.

Na, I wouldn’t do that.
The amount of effort involved should be manageable.

> What platform does Manfred have in mind?  or is the answer still hush hush?

Does „Amiga" still ring a bell?
I thought I’d open up another platform for the NG Amiga systems.
That is:
- MorphOS: http://www.morphos.de
- AmigaOS 4: http://www.amigaos.net
- AROS: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AROS_Research_Operating_System

All have become pretty neat, considering the resources available. With a user base of 10s of thousands still.
There is also still new hardware for MorphOS and AmigaOS 4. Both are (still) PPC based.
MorphOS managed to support all the old PPC Apple hardware (iBook, PowerBook, G4 and G5 desktop systems).

There is some Unicode support in either of them.
I’m currently figuring out what options there are for displaying text.
The SWORD library I’ve already compiled OK with a manually hacked makefile.

Manfred