[sword-devel] transChange within a rdg element

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Mon Feb 8 10:40:15 MST 2016

Hey guys.  The tenseChange to add a '*' was part of the NASB source
updates.  The NASB renders tenseChange with a '*' next to the verb.
Typically in the Gospels, when the author is storytelling, they
frequently switch to the present tense (we do this in English too when
tell stories, e.g., "so I go into the store, and the clerk gives me a
winning lottery ticket and asks me to cash it and he only asks me for
40% of the gross winnings.  It turns out, after taxes, that's ALL the
winnings!").  The NASB and most all other English translations, change
the verbs to past tense.  The NASB at least marks the verbs with an '*'
to show they changed the tense to read more formally.

I realize we prefer not to use an '*' directly in the filter, but
instead CSS to let the frontends decide how they wish to render these,
but removing the '*' without providing proper CSS to insert an '*' or
some other default rendering is a backwards step, and one specifically
affecting the release of the NASB.

Troy