[sword-devel] osis2mod default versification

domcox dominique.corbex at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 11:50:26 MST 2015

On Sun, 06 Sep 2015 01:23:44 +0100
Peter von Kaehne <refdoc at gmx.net> wrote:

> Domcox has just now produced two new v11ns which hopefully will make it into svn soon.

A few words about the status of French Bibles in Sword: Actually, when you run any application based on the Sword Project, as long as you read a Bible on your own, you're ok.

But if besides you, someone follow your navigation into a real (printed) Bible, or if during a Church Service, you're invited to read out a given verse, because of v11n differences in the Sword modules versus the printed Bibles, you're in trouble.

#1. eg: You are told to read out Ps. 63 :7 in the Segond version, certainly one of the most used French Bibles, so you navigate your front-end to that reference and start to read, but in fact, you are actually reading Ps. 64:7.

# 2. Open Job 39:30 in the FreMartin module, half a dozen of other verses have been added to this verse.
On the other side:
$ emptyvss FreMartin | wc -l
45
$

#3. There are many complaints about versification problems on the French forum of And Bible.
See: https://code.google.com/p/and-bible/wiki/FAQ#Psalms_in_French_Bibles_are_Offset_by_One
Martin Denham posted about this on sword-devel:
http://www.crosswire.org/pipermail/sword-devel/2014-March/041178.html

IMHO,the sooner these new French (actually 3: Calvin, DarbyFR, Segond) versifications schemes are added to Sword, the better.
(Note: I do not have write-access to svn)

Gains:
The remarkable FreJND module really deserves a valid v11n, it just needs a rebuilt with osis2mod -v=DarbyFR
The FreMartin module has just to be rebuilt as well, with option -v=Calvin
We have a solid base for fixing and rebuilding other modules.

Unresolved:
There is still no valid versification scheme for FreCrampon. (includes deuterocanonical books)

--
domcox <dominique.corbex at gmail.com>