[sword-devel] Namespace Proposal re eBible - collissions, duplication, clean-up etc

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Thu Sep 3 06:55:05 MST 2015

Yes, it requires no change to existing software. Yes, it makes the move
towards Abbreviation more compelling, but does not actually require it.
And I think these both "yes" are a necessity right now.

We can not afford to do any _required_ changes as it would take forever
before all frontends are there (and it would not solve the problem of
legacy software). We _can_ afford to have make changes more attractive
than not changing.

I further think: Michael is clearly a patient soul, but what if we
would be able to convince a major commercial publisher to go live with
their stock as a repository?

We would have the exact same scenario with a multitude of duplications
but would we again be able to faff about with "this needs to be solved,
that needs to be solved prior to you going live"? Most would walk away,
very fast. People would think we never thought it through how to go big
(well we never had, as eBible shows us, but now or never...)

My proposal is simple and states to anyone who wants to join our fold :

Yes, great, all very simple. Your module names need to be formed like
this "SpaRV2009Zondervan", "SpaRV2007CrossWay". Nice and easy. We could
then go into further slower and less urgent discussions re what may
obsolete what across repos etc. Or not.

There is the option to put the publisher ID prior to the remainder of
the module name, but it would make even more of a mess in legacy
applications without Abbreviation support. "ZondervanSpaRV2009" would
become in David's example "Zonder..." just like "ZondervanKJV2008".

There is finally the option to add the Publisher ID into the conf as a
entry and have it added to the datapath, while leaving the ModuleName
untouched.

ModuleName=[SpaRV2009]
Publisher=eBible
DataPath=./modules/texts/ztext/sparv2009ebible

This would eliminate crashing clashes dt indeces being not cleared, but
it would not allow naming duplicates to co-exist until some changes are
done to the software. It would also break our convention that
ModuleName and datapath are identical in all but case.

Peter