[sword-devel] Namespace Proposal re eBible - collissions, duplication, clean-up etc

David Haslam dfhmch at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 3 03:55:11 MST 2015

Peter,

I'm a bit reluctant to see even longer module names than what we have
already, though I can appreciate that including a namespace might somehow
solve the collisions problems.

cf. Long module names such as SpaRV2009ebib could be a problem for some
mobile apps with small screens, unless perhaps the front-end makes better
use of Abbreviation.

e.g. In PocketSword on my iPhone 5, one of my own modules I installed is
named FreMartin1707.
It's OK for selecting, but gets shown as "FreMa.." while being read.

Even so, I don't think the proposal has been adequately thought through.

If adding namespace to module names was to go forward, we'd still need to
ensure that users who have already installed some eBible modules (before
such a change) are adequately catered for.

So then, would you require that the conf file for SpaRV2009ebib should
include Obsoletes=SpaRV2009 ?

But this takes us back to the collisions problem, as it could obsolete a
CrossWire module rather than the earlier eBible module.

Regards,

David