[sword-devel] Note placement="inline" ?

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Thu Sep 3 03:04:57 MST 2015

On Thu, 2015-09-03 at 02:05 -0700, David Haslam wrote:
> Still waiting for a response!

The inline placement is currently not respected.

The note becomes a footnote.

There are a couple of issues here:

1) libsword treats only one type of notes in a separate and distinct
way - (type="crossReference). all other types are classed the same as
footnotes without further workup. I am not sure (but reading of
osisxhtml.cpp in src/modules/filters will show what is happening), but
I do not think we pass on the type attribute (nor indeed the placement
attribute) to the frontends)

2) "placement" is in essence presentational, the semantics in the
example you have given is hidden in the x-DHSource attribute

Personally I would not be averse to making a lot more of the various
OSIS types of notes - it can be easily done by passing the "type"
attribute on if it is not already done so + creating a different
presentation for different types. Further of interest though, but more
complicated would be to add GlobalOptionFilters for different types of
notes.  I am less convinced of respecting the placement attribute as
this is difficult to do in a consistent way across frontends and
devices and adds little to the usability.

But, none of that would help when people use extensions to the OSIS
standard. x-DHSource is unlikely ever going to be usefully dealt with.