[sword-devel] Semantic problem: real module names vs. Abbreviation=XYZ

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Tue Sep 1 15:42:14 MST 2015

On Tue, 2015-09-01 at 18:19 -0400, Karl Kleinpaste wrote:
> On 09/01/2015 09:29 AM, DM Smith wrote:
> > Having Abbreviation=KJV for a Thai module is clearly not the
> > intent. To use it within a repo with uniqueness by language is
> > entirely a bad idea.
> I'm glad I didn't misunderstand this aspect.

Michael explains that "KJV" is what is - at least in missionary circles
- used for the ThaiKJV. So, yes, this is the intent for Abbreviation as
a user friendly option.

Certainly I can see that within the Latin script area there may well be
clashes for some modules - and we should simply not ever assume that
the Abbreviation entry will always be unique across all repos and all
modules in existence.

It _must_ be unique for a user - and either the computer or the user
must be able to resolve clashes.

But we should neither assume uniqueness nor rely upon that until a
frontend has given for a particular moment the "all clear".

Peter