[sword-devel] Czech and Slovak modules [Was: Re: Updated CzeBKR]

Matěj Cepl mcepl at cepl.eu
Tue Oct 6 14:10:52 MST 2015

On 2015-10-06, 19:40 GMT, David Haslam wrote:
> After today's flurry of activity, I'm now quite happy for this
> to go ahead asap.

Thank you.

But it reminds me to return (originally I wrote about this in
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.literature.sword.devel/25972)
myself to the unhappy state (or very happy, actually) state of
the Czech modules in Sword.  Looking at
http://crosswire.org/sword/modules/ModDisp.jsp?modType=Bibles we
have:

    CzeB21  Czech Bible, Překlad 21. století
    CzeBKR  Czech Bible Kralicka
    CzeCEP  Czech Ekumenicky Cesky preklad
    CzeCSP  Czech Český studijní překlad
    CzeKMS  Czech Preklad KMS Nova smlouva
    CzeNKB  Czech Nova kralicka Bible

We are very fortunate that from the four most modern and most
official current Biblical translations in the Czech language we
have three (we are missing the Cahotlic Jerusalem Bible, and
some of my Catholics friends complained about missing
Deuterocanonical books in CzeCEP; but that's another issue,
although important one, Czechia is if anything the mostly
a Catholic country). CzeBKR is the Renaissance/Reformation
translation of the Bible to Czech from the original languages
(the fifth in Europe!), somewhat equivalent of KJV (albeit a bit
more readable for the current Czechs than KJV is for the current
native English).

However, the problem is that we have two books twice in various
versions of the development.

CzeNKB is actually original unfinished draft of CzeB21 (NKB
means in translation "New Kralická Bible", i.e., revision of
CzeBKR; however, after some development, the authors recognized
that they are actually not working on mere revision, but a fresh
new translation so they called "The Bible 21").

The same goes for CzeKMS which is an original unfinished draft
of CzeCSP (KMS is the organization sponsoring the translation,
but in the end the project was named "Český Studijní Překlad;
Czech Study Translation"). Here the situation is even more bad,
because CzeCSP is really an official version from the published
texts with all footnotes, cross-references, etc. and CzeKMS is
not.

So, I would suggest removing CzeNKB and CzeKMS from the
repository altogether (do we have some Attic or something of
that kind?), because it brings just confusion to our users.

-------------------------

Now to our Slovak neighbors (I was born in Czechoslovakia, so
I have still heart for them). When looking at the same page
http://crosswire.org/sword/modules/ModDisp.jsp?modType=Bibles
I see direct opposite of the Czech situation: there is nothing.
We don’t have any Slovak Bible at all.

There is a Sword module of the Catholic translation at
http://www.kristus.bibletop.sk/sword.zip, but it looks to be of
rather poort quality (KJV v11n and missing deuterocanonic
/ apocryphal books, which is even more unfortunate; Slovakia is
*very* Catholic country). I am in communication with its author
who offered me it for Sword. However, I am not sure about his
right to do so and I would like to get the original source texts
to be able to improve it (yes, I know about mod2osis, but still
original sources could bring more data).  Otherwise the text is
readable in Xiphos (although even in the first chapter I read,
I see typos).

What do you think?

Blessings,

Matěj

http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/, Jabber: mcepl at ceplovi.cz

Give your heartache to him. (1Pt 5,7; Mt 11:28-30)