[sword-devel] how dead are the apps?

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Wed Mar 11 12:11:17 MST 2015

Peter Von Kaehne wrote:
> https://www.openhub.net/orgs/crosswire
> This gives a decent overview of ongoing activity.
Phooey.  Its "decent overview" thinks Xiphos came into existence in 2009
and is written in Scheme, and I can't find a way to look at the other 5
of its 6 reviews.  I am unconvinced I can trust anything else it says,
either.

DM wrote:
> Bible Desktop is very much alive on that criteria alone. Many, many
> downloads every month.
Likewise Xiphos.  Thousands of downloads, and that's just the source
tarball and Win32 installer; there is no way to track RPM installs, but
given that Fedora users get it automatically and Win32 users have to
look for it manually, I presume that RPM installs are substantially
higher than Win32.

Troy wrote:
> It's not that I don't want active development.  Sure, adding new
> features is great.  But just because an app hasn't been released in
> ages doesn't mean it should be removed from our app list.
Yes, but you're one of the reasons I asked.  "It seems Xiphos is the
only actively developed SWORD frontend these days" in #xiphos on 14
Jan.  Similar things were muttered at me a couple days ago, hence my
question here.

I'm not looking to get anything knocked off any list.  That said, it
would be nice if folks would update the Choosing page
<http://www.crosswire.org/wiki/Choosing_a_SWORD_program> once in several
blue moons.  There are many areas yet unfilled, and quite a number of
recently-created or -updated categories that have gone blank.