[sword-devel] Av11n mark 2

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Wed Jul 15 06:05:52 MST 2015

On 07/15/2015 08:29 AM, Peter von Kaehne wrote:
> Wrt the not display of book Doofus 1.1 or even the existing Malachi
> 3.22 - if I remember correctly the GB av11n implementation was added to
> Xiphos at the same time when Xiphos added code to _not_crash_ on av11n
> modules.
Xiphos never had code specifically regarding GB Bibles at all; the whole
idea was that it should be invisible.  When the underlying API changed
for av11n, work was done to update Xiphos' use of it appropriately,
which still (at that time) restricted it to KJV v11n because I wasn't
prepared to do the required additional VerseKey work, which was a bit
far-reaching. That is, nothing was done at that time to add v11n
sensitivity to key creation, hence all keys defaulted to KJV. But it
never knew anything specific about GB v11n. In principle, the apps
shouldn't be able to tell.
> As far as CrossWire is concerned I am currently the person in charge of
> allowing any modules on. It would be easy to implement restrictions as
> to when and how we were willing to accommodate GBav11n. IBT is
> similarly tightly controlled. Xiphos - Karl can comment upon that.
/me is still confused.

There's nothing in Xiphos that restricts (or cares about, in fact) where
v11n details come from.  Xiphos just expects to be able to ask the API
"how many books are available?" and "what are their names?"  Whether
that's from original KJV layout, or updated av11n, or GB Bible internal
generality, Xiphos has never cared, as long as the API gives results.