[sword-devel] PEG parser for USFM

David Haslam dfhmch at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 29 04:11:46 MST 2015

A word of caution.

Although the USFM Reference 2.4 is the documented standard, the "de facto"
standard is how Paratext works, and what it accepts.

I've seen some strange things produced by Paratext users that one wouldn't
imagine just by reading the Reference. Even so, when queried to one of my
friends in the Bible Society, he always explains how "yes - it does
conform", even though it might at first sight not look intuitive to one only
familiar with the documentation.

One example (from Welsh beibl.net) was:

\qr \qs Saib \qs*

The example for marking Selah doesn't include the \qr marker, yet its use
here conforms to the standard.

btw. If anyone is interested, I made a decent attempt at creating a syntax
highlighting file for USFM to work with Notepad++.  It's not perfect (I
doubt if perfection is achievable) but it is useful.

David