[sword-devel] Submission of OSIS files for Bibles and Commentaries

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Sat Dec 26 09:10:13 MST 2015

On Sat, 2015-12-26 at 07:16 -0800, David Haslam wrote:

> But it's not saving time overall because it's being done so badly.

Well it has saved my time - apart from answering your emails I have
even cumulatively spend less time on this than on any publication
prior, including republication that I would have otherwise. I am
celebrating Christmas with friends etc, I am on call medically and I
have still issued 7 modules in 3 days.

As it is my time I am dealing with primarily I call it now a resounding success. And I am not sarcastic. Just pissed off.

> It's wasting time for those of us who submitted good working modules!
> This causes a huge amount of frustration.

No one ever was supposed to submit good working modules - just a OSIS
and a conf file which can be compiled into good working modules. I now
say just an OSIS and a conf file fragment which can get compiled into a
good working module. No difference whatsoever.

> I stick to my assertion that it's fundamentally flawed because it's
> not fit
> for purpose.

Well, it serves its purpose right now and it has served it well before
- i was able to apply corrections in seconds instead of waiting when I
have a half hour or more time and will not get disturbed - and it
already produces less delays and less problems than anything either
Chris or I did in the past.

> I have no confidence that it can be reliably mended.
>
> There are simply too many possible variations in conf files that no-
> one can
> predict.

No, there are not. There are calculated and not calculated parts. If I
did not have to delete the calculated parts from your files which are
simply all over the place in their order then I would have saved myself
(and you) half of the mistakes you moaned about.

Submit what I ask you for and leave the rest to my scripts. Submit more
than I ask you then I waste time deleting the crap out of your
submissions so that I do not have doubled up lines or non-functional
parts.

In absence of a wiki page on the process the confmaker.pl code is
public, has been announced ages ago on the mailing list, the process
has been discussed here and on modules at crosswire.org, all in all it
 has been public as a direction of travel for over a three years. The
code is in our repositories and has been constantly updated - all
updates go through crosswire-svn so all in all it is selfexplanatory
and tells you exactly what detail you can expect will be calculated -
and what you need to supply. Supply too much as you did, then I will
need to delete and then we have problems. In future I will reject your
conf files and will ask you to shorten them yourself.

?

> It's not as if the line order was fixed, though there are a few items
> that
> must be in a particular order.

?

Which ones and why?