[sword-devel] 4 new French public domain translations

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Sat Dec 26 08:25:57 MST 2015

On Sat, 2015-12-26 at 02:50 -0800, David Haslam wrote:
> Sadly, they are still not right.
>
> fresynodale1921.conf is terrible.

The missing minimal version entry has now been added. There are no
other differences I can see - other than the order.

The entries can be randomly ordered as they are a database and not a
text. It is entirely irrelevant in which order an entry gets added and
I have no intention to change things unless I see a technical need for
that. Frontends parse the conf file and do their own thing in their own
preferred way for display. The only users who read conf files are us.

There is no canonical way to order the entries hence you will find if
you look at conf files they all look different - and they all work the
same.

> Generating conf files by scripting is fundamentally flawed.

Unlike your process of a cognaisant user creating a conf file, my
process will systematically always produce the same result - right or
wrong. Point a mistake out and I can amend the process. Next time it
wont happen again and it won't happen ever again.

> Please restore my original conf files.

No. Point out the missing entries so that I can amend my processes.
This helps everyone. Accept that the order is irrelevant. Accept that
some entries are calculated and not for you to create or for you to
amend. Concentrate on those which are yours to create and ensure that I
am aware of all that my process needs to create.

FWIW - to point out why it is important to continue my way (and not to
listen to your demand to abandon it) Karl has added the NoParagraph
feature about a year ago. Suddenly all kinds of modules should have
this entry in their conf file to work better. About 30 do not. No one
so far has had the time to hand edit and add the entry and re-issue the
modules. What should be a simple task is tedious and boring - and no
one deals with it.

This would not have happened in my scenario. My script tests for the
feature and adds the entry. Automatically. I can re-issue all modules I
have ever issued in my way in seconds, in large numbers.  Add a feature
which is relevant to existing modules and I can re-issue all of the
ones affected by amending my conf making script. In one go.

FWIW wrt impugning anyone's reputation: FreSynodale has been 21 times
downloaded since I uploaded it - many of these will be the two of us
testing things. This exchange has been read probably by 100s of list
subscribers. Please consider that.

Peter