[sword-devel] testing for diacritics

Matěj Cepl mcepl at cepl.eu
Fri Aug 28 08:59:46 MST 2015

On 2015-08-28, 08:21 GMT, Peter von Kaehne wrote:
> On Fri, 2015-08-28 at 01:27 +0200, Matěj Cepl wrote:
>> iconv -f utf8 -t us-ascii//translit file.xml \
>>         |diff -u - file.xml
>
> This would probably work on latin scripts with diacritics, but not on
> the scripts I am interested in - Hebrew, Arabic derrived and Greek.

Did you try? I know that iconv has quite extensive number of
transliteration rules. Other option would be to use recode
(https://packages.debian.org/sid/recode,
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/package/recode/ or
http://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Recode)? It used to have a huge
number of transliteration rules.

Best,

Matěj

http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/, Jabber: mcepl at ceplovi.cz

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over
public relations, for nature cannot be fooled.
    -- R. P. Feynman's concluding sentence
       in his appendix to the Challenger Report