[sword-devel] Github Move of Module-tools git repository and related stuff

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Mon Aug 17 07:02:20 MST 2015

Dear all,

For the last few months John Austin, some friends of his, myself and
others have worked on getting our usfm - to - osis process onto a safer
and more solid footing.

There remains still a lot of work.

This is where we are right now:

We ran a small git repository which contains a set of makefiles and
scripts on our own gitosis install on CrossWire server. This has now
moved to GitHub to improve external contributions and general workflow.
The "canonical" repository is under my name

https://github.com/refdoc/Module-tools

Much development of usfm2osis.py and XSL files will happen in John
Austin's branch. These will from time to time merged back into the
"canonical" repo.

The main scripts in it are usfm2osis.py, xreffix.pl (which undergoes a
complete SAX based rewrite, which will be uploaded shortly), several
XSLT sheets and 2 main makefiles, which both should take a source
straight to a published module. One from USFM, the other from
externally produced OSIS.

We also will hold on to a local copy of u2o.py  by Ryan (adyeths),
which we will continue to test heavily (+ produce lists with issues
found). At this moment we will not use it to replace usfm2osis.py. This
is the current consensus of discussions between John and me, mostly.
The reasons for this are manifold and not suitable for here, but the
matter remains obviously under discussion. In short we are not wedded
to any particular usfm-to-osis process, but will continue with the
devil we know until we are sure a jump to any other script is safe and
gives more long term perspective.

I will merge back regularly the Github repo into our CrossWire git
repo, but will remove write access to it for all but myself to ensure
all development happens on Github. DM wants to make that repo also
visible for general reading, but this has not happened yet.

Peter