[sword-devel] eBible.org repository refresh ongoing again

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Mon Aug 10 17:56:28 MST 2015

On 08/10/2015 08:15 PM, Kahunapule Michael Johnson wrote:
> I think use of HTTP instead of anonymous FTP is a good idea for the
> future, for all front ends, as the gradual shift from IPv4 to IPv6
> marches onward.
This comment, and what followed it, is /non sequitur/.

The problem is not that Sword (or anything else) uses anonymous ftp.
The problem is that you have a buggy ftp server that fails in the
presence of IPv6.
And it's not even failing on IPv6 itself -- network connectivity works
-- but on some authentication mechanism that is somehow mis-tied to IPv6.

This has not a whit to do with "the gradual shift from IPv4 to IPv6."
"IPv4 -vs- IPv6" and "HTTP -vs- FTP" are orthogonal; a change in one has
nothing necessarily to do with the other.  This has to do with
unfinished software such as your ftp server.

--karl,
professional network head