[sword-devel] DVCS (was Re: Project "Free Scriptures" started)

Caleb Maclennan caleb at alerque.com
Wed Mar 19 09:47:25 MST 2014

As I understand it the issue here is that most SWORD stuff is in CVS, not
SVN and it's a little harder to use git as a front end client for CVS than
it is for SVN. It can be done (see http://stackoverflow.com/a/586225/313192),
but isn't easy. There is a high barrier to entry even for those familiar
with _both_ systems.

I know the subject is being beaten to death lately but to add one more
voice: there are those of us out here just waiting to contribute and
participate when the toolset becomes less arcane. Non-distributed version
control simply makes it too hard and too frustrating to experiment and then
cleanup those experiments for contribution. The result is fewer
contributions and less quality review and cooperation on the ones that do
happen.

I have quite a bit of git know-how including migrations from other VCS
systems and would be willing to help anybody on the SWORD team with
migration issues or just coming up to speed with DVS in general. I also
have experience hosting git servers including Gitlab if they would like to
run something like that internally to coordinate (and control)
contributions. In fact I would be willing to donate hosting a Gitlab
instance if that's what it takes. This would allow fairly fine grained
control over repos and even branches, specifying who is and isn't allowed
to push to which ones. At the same time as keeping a tight reign on the
quality of the master fork and branch, folks could also freely have their
own copies of the repo and easily submit pull requests for for review
similar to how the Github workflow functions.

Feel free to contact me on or off list about any of the above and know that
there will be much rejoicing out here when migration does happen!

Caleb